Friday, April 24, 2009

A Letter to Sophie

Dear Muffin -

I want you to know I appreciate how you tried to be a good little girl and get here before your Auntie Karyn leaves for vacation. I thank you for the effort, despite the fact that it seems I'll miss you by just a day or so. I'll let you slide this time - you're new yet.

So I'm probably not going to be around to meet you right away, but perhaps your mommy will be awake in the middle of the night sometime while I'm gone (you may have something to do with that) and she'll stumble on this blog if she happens to tear her eyes away from you for a minute or two, and she'll let you know how very much I'm looking forward to seeing your pretty face.

Your mommy is a pretty special lady. I haven't even known her that long, but she has been a rock and a sounding board for me over the course of our short friendship, and I'm so grateful for her. She'll be a rock and a sounding board for you too, I'm sure. I know how much she has anticipated you - you are already so hugely loved, and you're a very lucky little girl. If you're smart, and I know you will be, you'll want to grow up to be the sort of gracious and Godly woman that your mommy is - truth be told, when I grow up, I hope to be a little bit like her too.

I'm praying for you tonight. According to my cell phone, you've been not-so-subtly hinting that the time is coming. Maybe I'll get a text in a few hours to come see you, but it's more likely you'll take your time, as well you should. I hope your journey here is as painless as possible for you (mommy too, for that matter) and I wish I could be there to see you.

I'll be in a place called Mexico, drinking some things called Margaritas (you'll learn about that much, much later). I'll bring you some more cute clothes (which I know you desperately need ;) ) and a margarita for your mommy (which I know she'll desperately need*) and I'll see you when I get back.

Godspeed, little Muffin. See you soon.

*a virgin margarita, of course, what with breast feeding and all. No infants will become intoxicated as a result of the delivery of the margarita.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails